The photograph above shows the St. Mary’s Bell-ringers on Thursday 13th October 1910 after they had rung A Peal of Bob Major 5056 Changes in two hours and forty eight minutes. This was the first time such a peal had been rung at St. Mary’s by all local bell-ringers, as such it was an occasion captured by a formal photograph.
The Bell-ringers – click on the bell-ringer’s name to find out more about them.
There were more than eight bell-ringers at St. Mary’s in the years preceding The Great War. We know of three bell-ringers not in the above photograph who served in The Great War:
Robert Funnell – Alfred Funnell’s younger brother (see Alfred’s page.)
Frank R. Copeman – enlisted 1915, served as a Lance Corporal in the 8th Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment. He received one wound stripe.
Frederick Whitham – enlisted in 1915, served as a Private in the 2nd Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment.
A photograph from 1908
The above photograph shows the bell-ringers in 1908 immediately prior to the hanging of the two new treble bells given to the church by Rev. Pitt. It includes most of the 1910 bell-ringers.
John Aldis Junior *; William Wilson; David Emms; George Aldis; Alfred Shemmings.
Bellhanger; Bellhanger; John Wilson; (next 3 individuals are Bob More, Jack Slapp and an as yet unidentified man – the order of these individuals is unknown); Harry Buckmann; George Poynts; John Aldis Senior *.
John Wilson Junior **; Rev. Richard Warcop Pitt; Jack Aldis *.
Alfred Funnell; William Aldis.
* The names John and Jack seem to have been used for each of these men.
** John Wilson Junior was sometimes know as Fredrick – his middle name; he is also sometimes recorded as John or Fredrick Moore, Moore being his step-father’s name.